Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Friend's Note

Hey this is Rebekah! I have been in China since I was born! After 26 years, my Chinese is pretty good, the reason I say this is because I have only been learning English for 4 years, so please forgive me if I use the wrong words or grammar! :-) I'm sure you will need to do that!

Anyways, as a 100% Chinese girl I have always had pride in my culture. But things started to change when I was at University majoring in Marketing English. That's also where I met my American teachers for the first time in my life and they taught me a lot about American language, culture, history, beliefs...etc. These things somehow stirred up my desire to learn more about America.
After I graduated from school, I started working in a language school for foreigners to learn Chinese. To my amazement, 90% of my students were American and we became friends quickly! I guessed the reason was because I was such a smart teacher and such a nice friend to them! That explains everything! :-)

During that time I was spending with them, I noticed that there are a lot of differences between American girls and Chinese girls. One thing in particular is, “personal space”.

Chinese girls love intimate relationships more than any other girls in the world (in my opinion)! We enjoy clasping hands with our female friends while wondering around, going to the bathroom together, feeding each other taking showers together! These kinds of things are quite common in China! Without a doubt!

So one time I told one of my American friends that the whole of last winter, I didn't have heat in my house, so me and my three other roommates took a shower together in order to keep warm.

Yes! Three naked Chinese girls crowding next to each other, shaking in a small cold bathroom! I know its weird in American culture, but, my American friend …... actually didn't say anything when she heard it. Not because she thought it's no big deal, but because her mouth opened so wide and couldn't close up!!

As you can see, Chinese girls don't really have the concept of “personal space”. Sometimes I do enjoy it, but sometimes it drives me crazy, even though I'm a Chinese girl! I love my American friends because they taught me that I can't just grab their butts because I want to, I can't just rush to the bathroom when they're taking a bath even though I'm gunna pee my pants! I can't just... I can't just...

Yep. This is me, a normal Chinese girl who loves America and my own motherland! Once again, I love you...all my American friends! See ya!

PS. I am heading out to India in January, and right now I am facing economic crisis... so if anyone wants to help me, please feel free to contact Natasha :) Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha loved it!! I gotta admit, there is a part of me that wants to think Chinese people are crazy- but I have to open my mind. I love that in China you don't have to worry about someone thinking you're lesbian just 'cause you want to hold your friends hand. I'd love to hear more things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, culture here is pretty different! There are other things like that, I'll try to blog some more about them sometime.

    ReplyDelete