Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Some things on China Life




















I'm now in the midst of my nomadic life and as such I feel I should right a little nomadically...or maybe I mean sporadically.
I got a new job at the beginning of December (teaching English for 3 to 6 year olds), and for this job I needed a uniform (which is just a sweatshirt). Two funny things. When I was given a sweatshirt the girl told me, "Don't worry we have a really big one for you." Other thing, the name of our school is American English, but the front of our sweatshirts say "London Buses"....yea I don't understand the relevance either...
A week from today is Chun Jie, or Spring Festival, or Chinese New Year depending on how you want to call it. I'll stick with Spring festival. This weekend I'm going to my friend's hometown for Spring Festival. Will be there one week. After this event I will have to post much more on it because apparently this thing is huge. It's like our Christmas, with some 4th of July mixed in times 100. And I'm sure after it I will have lots to write about.
By bike, its my new car. I moved all my stuff from the old house to my friend's house for storage by bike. Good thing a friend of mine helped me, it was a good work out to say the least! Along with riding a bike and it being Spring Festival, lots of bikes are getting stolen. So I've been on the look out and super aware. Mine is a beauty and if someone got a chance they would take it. Just like holidays in the states, things are more prone to getting stolen because people need money to get home and buy gifts for the holiday. It is unfortunate nonetheless and very frustrating. Last night I was drinking some coffee at McDonald's, I sat by the window to watch my bike and I might have witnessed two people scoping out the bikes. There were probably 20 bikes or so parked outside and these two people were talking on the phone and walking around the bikes. Which doesn't sound very sketchy, until you know the culture and realize that this is very unusual. One of them even went so far to lean on my bike, I think if I hadn't looked at him to show him it was my bike I might have seen how he makes it look likes it's his, then takes it. It would have been interesting to let it go farther, but I didn't want to take risks. If it gets stolen, I'm screwed.
As far as culturally goes, I'm starting to hit my aggression stage. When I go out I now feel dehumanized when I'm stared at. I feel like this city is my home, so when people stare at me like I'm some wild creature at the zoo I naturally get a little upset. I don't always handle it the best, but it's hard to know what to do. I've started staring back, haha, which creates some awkwardness. One time I turned around and walked backwards to stare back at a man who wouldn't look away. As frustrating as this is, my Chinese teacher told me it's because I'm such beautiful American. At least that much is true.
I haven't written much on how my language study is going. I've been told I'm learning pretty quickly, which still feels way too slow. With the holiday here I get a couple weeks break. Which is nice (although at my friend's hometown, my language will get stretched to the limits). I have class about 5 hours a week, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it fits in well with the rest of my schedule.
I started University last week, so far so good. Lots of reading.
Also got sick last week, couldn't eat for a few days. A stomach flu that went around. Some people just laid in bed for a week, but it didn't get me that bad I still went out and did things. Although I honestly should have rested more...Oh well feeling good now.

Now for one more story. Shortly after I got my job I met the older sister of one my students. She is in high school and she was so excited to meet me. She would come over talk to me, say good bye, leave then come back. This happened a few times and I just realized it was exciting for her to practice her English with a foreigner. Well, as I was leaving I pass by her, waive and all of a sudden she yells "I LOVE YOU!" I really didn't know how to respond...so I told her I loved her too. haha Yes I did.

3 comments:

  1. Who took that picture! Wow they did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, your nomadic or sporadic writing is formally called "stream of consciousness." :P Love you,
    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! Love to try all of that food :) Also, I think that the fire works would get very tiring....the Chinese invented fireworks, didn't they? You look great - good luck holding on to your bike! Kris Cromwell

    ReplyDelete