Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Influences

Today we have more influences than we can count, media is one that we often blame or praise. But do we ever think of our own influences? I ask because a couple months ago I would have said the influences I have over people is quite small. I could count them on one hand. But today I realize that's not true. I influence more people than I realize. Not influence in such a way where I could convince them all to jump off a cliff, but I have such an influence that they will stop and listen to what I have to say. Maybe they won't agree, maybe they will strongly disagree, but nonetheless they will give me the time of day to pass my message along. That is a huge influence.

Why do I bring this up? Because I want us to be inspired to do something more with our lives. To take a stand in what we believe in, to move forward, to better the world. Example, when I decided to get my act together and work towards becoming healthier, I was surprised at how many people took note! Some decided to change too, some didn't, but the fact that they noticed! I have influence to share my ideas. I heard that its our responsibility to share and the others to decide whether or not they will follow, so we can't take responsibility for what they choose after we shared, but we need to take a step towards that.

Take Invisible Children for example. A group of people went to Uganda saw what was happening with child soldiers, came back to America and tried to get the American government involved. But my government wasn't interested because it didn't involve America. So this group of people began to advocate everywhere they could, they used their influences and their influences used their influences. Once the American people took note, so did the Government. Makes sense, ours is a government of the people, so THE PEOPLE wanted to get involved and help something beyond their own boarders. Can you see the chain affect? I watched a video (http://kony2012.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/) and was influenced. Now I'm sharing with you. Everyone who reads this will be influenced. Maybe not to change, not to do anything, but you took your time to see what I had to say. Maybe you even took your time to watch the video (maybe you have already watched it). And those who believe in the cause will then use their influence to tell others.

It's amazing. Stop and think who you influence. Now ask yourself, what kind of influence do you want to be and how do you want to influence the world to become a better place for the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment