Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

ChinaNess

Two main things I want to focus on here. One China names, two what people wear to the gym. Both are incredibly interesting.

So when a Chinese person begins to learn English, they usually pick a name out for themselves or ask someone to give them a name. Some names I have heard that should give you a straight up belly laugh, or at least a little giggle. Birthday Cake, (yes I said Birthday Cake, that is not a typo), Rock (as in pebble or boulder? I never got a chance to ask), Panda, Shinning, Flower, Coco (which is not bad in my opinion, but still unusual), Easy (all I have to say is poor girl, please change your name!), Eleven (she thought a number would be VERY original....so I guess she got what she wanted out of the name) and Fish. Now I should state, in Chinese, names like this are not unusual (well Eleven and Birthday Cake are, but that's besides the point). My own Chinese name means art (like painting type art, not Art is short for Arther type Art). The girls who were Fish and Panda, took the meaning of their surnames and just directly translated to English. I have also heard of a girl names Fiona, who insisted spelling her name with a double F....Ffiona.

Now onto gyms. It's always a surprise to see what people will wear to the gyms. Always a little interesting. Jeans are not unusual at all. So I almost always see at least one person running, cycling or doing weights in jeans. One time while I was running a girl got done with belly dancing class (yes that is a class we hold at my gym, along with some other interesting ones), she was in this flowing outfit and then began to run. Which I honestly don't know how she could, it was so distracting! Sleeves and pants legs swooshing everywhere! But the thing that topped it off for me was seeing a man in his tie. I guess he came to the gym after work and decided it wasn't worth taking off the tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment