Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Moving, Hellos and Goodbyes

I have now been back in China about three weeks, and it has been eventful. My first week I returned to Xian, where I got to say a “Hi” and “Bye” to all my Chinese friends. While it was sad and too short, it was still good. As a group we went to Hot Pot and the next day KTV (karaoke). After a week I moved on to the next city where I will be living for at least a couple months. Xining.




I have 4 roommates, with another on the way! But its ok, I like my roommates, its fun to meet new people who are doing the same things I am. They also have two cute kittens, Abner and Mr. French, which I'm loving.

This city is so different from where I come from, when I meet new people they ask me, “What do you think?” and I tell them I love it, but I'm still “Xianren” (which technically would imply its where you grew up, your culture, similar to the idea of a hometown, it literally means Xian-person). The city is up higher (in elevation), so my lungs are still adjusting and is smaller. But because of both of those facts, the air is much fresher and as my Xian friends told me, “The sky is blue in Xining!” And so it is, the weather is also cooler, but sense I've gotten here we have had really nice weather!

One thing that is a lot of fun, is the coffee shops. There are two here which, I think, could do well even in Seattle! So its kind of nice to have that. Right now we have no internet at my house, so when I need to do something I can walk down to the coffee shop to get stuff done.

The food here is very different from Xian food, all the Xiningren say its better, but we will see. So far what I've had is very good. I'm also hoping to buy a bike soon, will make going around the city a lot easier and more fun. I rode my bike all the time in Xian and in my opinion it was a form of hell, but here I think it will be more enjoyable, so hopefully I can find one I like soon!

One other big difference I've found, the people here are so much nicer. People still stare at me, but when I ask them a question, they respond, if someone drops something, a stranger is more likely to stop and help them. It's strange, but its been a bit of a culture shock because that's not how it is in Xian. It could be the difference of big city verses small city, could be the difference of mid China verses west China or it could just be different. But I think this is a difference that I can easily become accustomed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment