Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

A Little on Life

I still want to put up something on Nepali culture, but to tell ya the truth, I just haven't been in the mood.  Part of it might be I'm "back in school" now.  If you don't know what that means, it means I do part time classes online at Washington State University.  Even if I've mentioned it before, its easy to forget, and I guess who cares if you live in China, right?  That's way cooler.  I do love "going" to school though.  Right now I'm taking a class on writing and a class on World History, neither are my passion, but I am enjoying both of them.  But even part time school ends up being so time consuming! 

I just got done teaching a semester of English, that was also time consuming, and tiring.  Man working 9 to 5, who can do it! ;-)  I'm just joking, I think that might be another misconception about living abroad, sometimes people think its all fun and no work.  Your just out there drinking coffee with gifted money from back home, playing mazhong with your local friends and sleeping in all the between time.  I mean that's part of it, I think to have a good life in a foreign country and to make it really feel like home you have to have local friends.  Not just one or two, but circles of them.  In real life we have our close friends, our work friends, our acquaintances and so on.  Right now I don't have that, and it makes it harder.  In my last city, I did have that, which I'm thankful, I will be visiting soon!  But to get back to my original point, while I live in China, my life is going to look much different than America.  In both countries my time will be full and challenges will come my way, but it looks differently-and that's okay.

You know, everyone has the funny things that happen in life, for me that was rescuing a puppy!  I was out walking my dog in my xiaoqu (apartment complex) and my dog found a puppy under a car.  So I waited around to see if anyone would come back for her and no one did.  It took a lot of work to get her out, but I did.  I don't know what happened, she kind of looks like a Tibetan Mastiff, but shes way too small to be one.  So I wonder if someone bought her thinking she was, then when they found out she wasn't, they dumped her?  I don't know, but she's been abused, so shes scared of me.  But having the other dogs around has helped, because she warmed up to them much faster and she can see how I treat them.  I'm hoping once she becomes a bit normal I can take her to the park and sell her to a good family, having three dogs in our house would just be a tad excessive.

Well, I'm done teaching for awhile, so working on online school and some other things, rescued a pup and now that my life is slowing down I'm looking forward to making this city I live in home and working on some things I haven't had time for in awhile (like Chinese!).  In about a week I'm visiting Xian, it will be amazing to see old friends again.  Then in April I will be coming home for six weeks!  So get ready for a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment