Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Some observations from Nepal

So I always said I would revisit Nepali culture, but never really got around to it, now I will. One thing is: Nepal is very different from China or the States.

In Nepal, based on what someone said, the people are rich but the Government is poor. And at least in Kathmandu it appears to be that way. The houses are beautiful, spacious and big, while the electricity is turned off for most of the day and the roads are usually dirt. If they are paved, then the pavement is very old and in need of much repair with potholes everywhere. Which makes the driving even that more interesting, on top of already being a bit crazy.

While I was there I used public transportation to get around. Public transport in Nepal is different from America or China in a lot of ways. One, there aren't real buses. The "bus system" usually consists of 15 passenger vans owned by private individuals who simply run the route to make cash. There is the driver, then usually a smaller helper, the age of the "helper" can range from 7 to 27, but the helpers tend to be small slim boys. The helper is the one who opens and shut the door, collects the money, convinces people to get in "his" van and tells the driver where to stop.

Another thing about Nepal is the street dogs. They are everywhere! I know a popular thought in America is that its inhumane to kill dogs that no one wants, but after being in Nepal and seeing the dirty starving, bug infested dogs, I can't help but think that maybe its inhumane not to kill them. The street dogs keep on breeding, the only thing that keeps the numbers low is probably being hit by cars, starvation and sickness. Yes I know its sounds terrible, it wasn't meant to sound nice.

Another aspect is food. I am often asked if I like Indian food and my usual response is "Not in Nepal or India" (Nepali and India food have some similarities). The reason for this is because the common meal is rice and dahl. Dahl is a soup like substance that usually goes over your rice. If your lucky you might get some lentils or cilantro in your dahl, if your not lucky it'll be just another name for flavorless soup. It's not bad, but when you eat it for lunch and dinner for a week or more straight, believe me it gets old.

When you go to Nepal many senses go on overload, smell sight, sound, etc. But one thing that sticks out more than anything else is the kindness of the people. You smile and they smile back, you try and communicate with them and they try back (and most of the time, especially with the younger generation they can speak very good English)  I will be the first to confess that Kathmandu is not my favorite place, but Nepal is. If you get a chance to go, I definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment