Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Mafan

As you probably know my roommate is leaving. Initially I had planned to continue to rent out her apartment, but after living there for a few months I decided I would prefer to move on. There are cockroaches, they are small, but I'm tired of them. The Landlord's furniture is overwhelming some of the space, but I'm not allowed to move it around. We have been battling mold because this last fall/winter has been particularly moist and now the apartment needs to be re-painted. Then there are the memories, my roommate has decorated and made it hers, but I want a place that is mine. So I decided it would be better to move on, find a place not yet furnished (or at least not a ton), that is cheaper. While my roommate returns home on the 14th, the contract goes until the 28th. So I was planning on staying until then.
Well, the Landlord came yesterday. Surprise visit! He had said he would come today. Originally my roommate emailed him and told him the deal, he agreed, but as he came in he started talking about how I needed to be out by the end of the week. You can imagine the frustration, the temporary panic, the anger and so on. Thankfully I don't speak enough Chinese to tell the Landlord my mind. My teacher/friend was there and patiently worked with him for two hours! To get through this issue. He would say yes, she can stay, then no, then yes and so on and so on. So now I am allowed to stay until Dec 28th till noon. Wow, what a fight. And you know what's funny? That's a good Landlord. Culturally it's normal to argue, it's part of business, but before you think that all Chinese are like this they are not. My friend who helped us even thought it was ridiculous and right now she's dealing with stuff with her Landlord and her Landlord's being a little more helpful.
So you are wondering what my living situation will become? Starting December 28 I will stay in a friend's room for two and a half weeks, then I will stay in another friend's house for a little less than a week, then the last part of January I'm going to my friend's hometown for Spring Festival. Hopefully by February my finances combined with another families finances we will be able to pay 6 months rent. To put some extra stress on the situation January 9th I start University! Working towards my degree in Sociology through an Online Program with Washington State University. Before you think your paying for my degree, don't worry, all finances covered through grants by the Government. I can truly say I'm proud...and blessed to be an American. So there is a Chinese word to cover the meaning of all of this and it is "Mafan". It means troublesome, annoying, a hassle and so on. It completely covers what this month of January will cover, but with the Mafaness of it all, after this hopefully something amazing will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment