Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Hope all of your Christmases were great! From the states perspective we are winding down from the Holiday season, from China perspective we are winding up towards it. Pretty soon it will be Spring Festival, AKA The Chinese New Year. I've heard of the Chinese New Year being described as a thousand July 4ths put into one night....so it should be fun. No firework restrictions here! Part of me is sad cuz I'll miss the heavy fireworks in the city when I go to my friend's hometown, but I've heard things can get pretty crazy in the Villages too. Plus what a fun cultural experience it will be!
So back to Christmas. About two weeks ago I threw a Christmas party for my Chinese friends, they don't really celebrate it here, so I thought it would be fun to bring a little Cultural experience to them. It was a stressful few days leading up to it, what with the Landlord drama, my roommate leaving, packing, then preparing for a party. I had a couple disappointments and a lot of stress (made someone lose face-whoops!). But by the time we got the party going it ended up being a lot of fun and my friends loved it. We made snowflakes, watched youtube videos, had a talent show (my talent was acting out a story by myself and for making it up on the spot I did quite well!), and exchanged gifts (played White elephant, I got some great smelling perfume). It was a good night.
Christmas eve I worked in the morning, then after work a friend came over and she showed me how to make dumplings, that was a fun experience. That night me and some of the other Americans had a little party, main dish spaghetti and it was fun to hang out and play with the kids. For Christmas I went over to another families house, hung out all day, cut the mama's hair and pretty much played Wii.
I also am now registered for Spring Quarter classes and will start in about a week!
Tonight is my last night in my roommate's house and tomorrow I begin my nomadic lifestyle :) Wish me luck!

Ps A funny texting conversation between me and one of my bosses...Quoted word for word (spelling and grammar mistakes and all)

Me: Hi harry. If I take a taxi to class what do I say?

Harry: I will go to the hospital of hangtian. you take of the taxi at it. our school is near by hospital of hangtian. our oral english class is over. we see on februry next year

Me: No class tomorow?

Harry: The new year is coming. happy new year to you. harry

Me: thank you! happy new year to you too! Is there class tomorow?

Harry: YES. SORRY TO YOU AT NOW.

Me: Ok thx, se you tomorow!

Harry: NO. this year is not english class...we have it next year on fb. harry

Me: Oh! See you next year :)

Harry: ARE YOU SAD OR ANGERY? WHY? PLEASE TELL ME. THANK YOU.

Me: No not at all!Just confused, haha it is actually good for me that there is no class :)

Harry: I KNOW. THESE DAYS ARE DIFFICULT FOR YOU ! SEE YOU!

ME: See you!




....I don't really have anything to say, except you couldn't have gotten this bad of communication if you had tried :)

3 comments:

  1. I was for real laughing out loud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay so i am so happy that you had a good Christmas! and the party went well too! sounds like your having a good time! okay just to tell you i was ROFLing at the convo between you and Harry!! and will was too! well he was laughing at me laughin! i miss you so much and cant wait to see you
    -Nika

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm glad I finally got to see your text conversation with your boss.

    ReplyDelete