Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Pet Peeve I do

So for the last week I've been thinking about what to write on my blog and for awhile was considering one on crossing the street.  Here is why.  I go to work about 5 days a week and try to ride my bike at least 3 out of those 5 days.  Riding my bike I definitely get down and dirty with the traffic, weaving in, out, front, behind and so on with other bikes, motorcycles, cars and even buses.  I don't mess around.  So with all this stress I've found the most frustrating thing is not all the times I nearly die by a car door flying out in front of me, or when the bus doesn't see me or when the car doesn't care, its the pedestrians.  There is a strange problem here, where people just don't look where they are going.  They step in front of me all the time, which causes me to swerve and thus causes the many instances of my near death experiences.  So I was going to write a whole blog on my pet peeve and complain about people's issue.  But then, I did it.  Not as a pedestrian, but as a biker.  I ran a red light, not even thinking twice about it, believing it must not apply to me and by doing that I caused about 3 cars to slam on their brakes.  Yes, at least three cars. 
So I've learned its not the individuals, but I got sucked in.  It's the rules of the road here, red lights are mere suggestions, danger is subjective and everyone watches their front, not their backs.  I have fit in well and have adapted the rules of the road to my own life, leaving behind the ones from my home country.
I'm not going to lie, I'm scared to go home, what if I don't fit in anymore.  I will say things and do things that helps me fit in here, but in America will cause me to stand out in and awkward kind of way.  People will expect me to know American culture, to understand it, but for one year I have tried everything in my will power to become part of China.  So what happens in those two months of America time?  Will I go back to being American or will I retain my half Chinese that I've worked hard for.  How will that mess up my life here, my cultural acceptance of life.  I don't know the answers, we will have to just try and see.

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering the same thing...what is it going to be like to be in America again? :-O

    ReplyDelete