Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Last bit in HK

So as some of you may know this is the last week of my school. I will be moving to my new home on Friday! The rest of my school will also visit China, but a different part. In a couple months I may join them for a couple weeks and come back to HK for graduation with them (it will also be good timing for visa run). This school has been very wonderful and I'm so happy I did it. I feel it helped prepare me for this big move (which is very important) and I learned so much. I feel very prepared in many aspects.
This last week is just orientation on China and some of the big Culture differences to be ready for. Life has been really wonderful and I am so excited for more things to come. Someone gave me a Ukulele, so now I have an instrument which is fabulous and during this time someone gave me their laptop, so that will help in keeping in touch with people and more possibly.
Even though Hong Kong is technically part of China, Hong Kong and China are very different, including the people. Because of the British rule Hong Kong is a little more similar to the western world (although still distinctly Chinese). While Mainland Chinese thinking and lifestyle are quite different. One example of a difference is in China if someone is a little bossy and tells you what to do, they do it cuz they care (even if it's a stranger). The Chinese don't drink cold drinks in cold weather (often times it's lukewarm) cuz they believe it will freeze and harm your insides). For a meal Chinese will often drink tea or soup (or both) before the real meal to “protect” their stomach. One thing I find interesting is that girl/boy touching is really not appropriate (not even looking into eyes for too long), but when it comes to travel (like getting on a bus), it is one of the few places in the world where it is appropriate to grind a stranger because the bus is so packed full. I've heard stories of people being able to lift their legs and let go of any bars because they were so packed in. because I’m a foreigner I will get a lot of stares (not many foreigners travel there, it's beginning to see more, but still not a lot). So sometimes on bad days the crowding or the stares might get a little frustrating, but I'm so excited to move there. The Chinese people I have met are so kind and sweet and I can’t wait to meet more. The next couple years of my life will be quite wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment